Fall Writing Frenzy Entry

 

Well, it feels strange to venture back into the realm of contests and querying, but also, strangely, good. And who knows. I might even be inclined to revisit my poor abandoned blog now and then. 

So with that, here is my entry into the Fall Writing Frenzy. To find out more about the contest, please visit Lydia Lukidis's blog.




Now, onto my entry:


The Unbecoming

Perched high behind a sheltering wall, the chapel stands silent. I imagine I can still hear the priest’s soft words, the swish of robes, the creak of old knees as they fall to velvet-lined kneelers. I imagine I can still hear the rhythmic clang of the brass censer as it swings, a curl of fragrant smoke guiding prayers up toward heaven.

Did they have time to wish for a miracle? Did they wonder if God even heard—or cared?

I might have had a wedding here someday. I might’ve stood at the altar in a white dress, while sunlight transferred the colors of stained glass onto the people I loved most.

Beneath the golden trees, I lie down on an endless bed of leaves. On my ankle, the mouth-shaped wound throbs, cold pinpricks of drying blood where teeth pressed into my skin. Already, fever makes me shiver.

I spread my arms and legs, moving them until I create the shape of an angel. When I’m done, I realize I was wrong. The chapel isn’t silent. From inside, there’s a soft shuffling, a hundred pairs of feet moving among the pews.

I close my eyes and wait for my turn.


💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀


My little story, which is intended for a YA audience, was inspired by the following photograph:


Credit: Julia Solonina / Unsplash


Comments

  1. Very engaging and haunting. I enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it! Descriptive language was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really had me wondering where this was going...what happened that things changed. The tension is fierce. 👍👍 --Melisa Wrex @mowrex (Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Melisa. I've been enjoying the crazy variety of stories/poems/etc. that have come out of this photo.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts